Godparents and godchildren have a very special, lifelong relationship. Here are a few ideas of how to enjoy that time together, getting to know each other, getting to wonder at God’s world, and discovering how to bless and pray for one another.
One of the wonderful things about having children and godchildren is spending time together. There are so many things to see and do that remind us that the gift of life that God has given us is precious and awesome. This list of ten low-cost ideas will help you love, pray, laugh, share memories, and have loads of fun, whatever your age.
- Revisit the action: go back to the church where the christening happened together. Take some new photos – then play spot the difference!
- Face your fears: do something brave together. That might be looking at a spider or walking through a tunnel, visiting a car wash or dancing in the dark
- Give it large: challenge each other to do something for a charity that you both support
- Little wonder: find the tiniest thing that amazes you about creation and share the joy
- Shine a light: make a visit together to the nearest cathedral or open church and light a candle for each other
- Sky high: choose a moment when you will each stand or sit in the highest place you know and name ten things you see
- Shared names: Each find a pebble/stone and paint a name on it. Remember the name you were given at your christening
- Surprise, Surprise: Be a surprise blessing to each other by doing something unexpected that brings a smile
- Playtime: Play your favourite childhood game together – for real or on Skype – hopscotch or Pacman?
- Never too late: teach other a new skill – skimming stones, drumming, ballet, cartwheels – and send us (or each other) the video!
- Pray: complete this prayer for each other using around 10 words.
Dear God, please help x ……..
No. The role of a godparent is not a legal commitment. Read on for more about this.