After the christening day, the amazing journey of faith continues. Godparents can play a special part in helping a child throughout their life by being there for them, encouraging them and supporting them. Find out some of the ways that you can be part of your godchild’s journey here.
Being a godparent can be creative, fun and rewarding. There are lots of things you can do to encourage your godchild to live well and enjoy the amazing journey of Christian faith, from grand days out to rainy days indoors. Here are just a few suggestions.
- Create memories – starting photo albums or scrapbooks with your godchild is a fun way to record the special times you’ll have with them and their family.
- Remember their birthday and christening anniversaries – send a card with a personal message.
- Go to their church – if you don’t live too far away, going with your godchild to their local church is a great way to show your support.
- Visit a nature park – the countryside is full of healthy and interesting ways to discover more about God’s amazing world and how to look after it. Visitor centres in nature reserves and parks might even offer children’s activities.
- Share Bible stories – well-loved Bible stories that teach us about how to be kind, care for others and trust Jesus are available in child-friendly books, games and films. Find out more.
- Talk to them about other children – one day your godchild will begin to understand there are other children across the world who live without enough food, shelter or love. Talk to them about the purpose of charities and how they can bless other children by giving in some way.
- Visit your nearest cathedral – as your godchild grows up, they’ll be learning about faith at school. Cathedrals are breathtaking places which often have special days for children’s learning activities. Take photos to capture the memories!
- Keep in touch – there are so many ways to stay in touch these days, even if you live far away, you can always be there for your godchild. Just knowing you’re there to talk may be the simplest but one of the best gifts you can give them.
- Pray – praying for your godchild is something you can do any time, anywhere. Find out more.